Sunday, October 13, 2024

First sighting of Comet Tsuchinshan-Atlas

Tonight was the first evening that I expected comet Tsuchinshan-Atlas to be visible, possibly with the naked eye, but certainly in binoculars. Originally, I was going to view it at my church in Westminster, but the overlook on Deer Park road, just west of the Soldiers Delight Visitor Center (where I give lectures every third Saturday evening) was just a couple of minutes from where I live and has a nice parking area facing west.

I arrived at 6:00PM and there was already about 10 or so folks gathering to photograph the comet. Had a great time talking with everyone while waiting for the sky to darken a bit and the comet to show. Some rather thick clouds were obscuring the western horizon, but as soon as it got reasonably dark Tsuchinshan-Atlas made it's appearance. It appeared to be quite dim, but that could have been due to the cirrus and cirrostratus clouds covering the area. Fairly easy to spot with binoculars - tail extending about 10 degrees nearly straight up.

Comet Tsuchinshan-Atlas - October 13, 2024 - 7:41PM EDT
Canon 70D - 32mm f/4 ISO 800 10sec
Processed in Paint Shop Pro

Weather prospects are still fairly good for the next few evenings, and with the comet rising a bit each day it should be easier to pick out. I'll be imaging it every night, weather permitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Photos of Comet A3

Skies cleared wonderfully this evening, so I set up my camera at my church property and snapped away!  Here are the first images to be proce...