Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Supernova in M66 Captured

Well the clouds finally left the area and the sky was clear enough to attempt to capture the new supernova in galaxy M66.  Staying up into the wee hours of the morning on a week night when I need to be at work by 7:00 is not a great idea, but at this time of the year the skies don't get dark enough for imaging until about 10:30PM.  And, supernovas don't appear very frequently. 

So here's my image of Supernova 2016cok.  I plan to re-image the galaxy if possible in the coming weeks to see how the supernova fades.  Problem is that the moon will be making its reappearance and the galaxy is setting earlier and earlier each evening.  I was only able to take 12 subs this evening before it sank into my western tree line.


No comments:

Post a Comment

More Astrophotos from my Backlog

I just completed the post-processing of a couple of objects from my backlog - one from Feb 6, 2024 (open star cluster M35) and the other the...