Monday, September 14, 2026

Day 17 and 18 - Obsy Build and Setup

Last week I completed the installation of the telescope(s) on the pier and routed the power and signal (USB) cables through the mount. I still have a little bit of cable management to accomplish, but the basic runs are fully functional. 
EdgeHD11 with ASI2600mm
William Optics GT102 APO with ASI1600mm on top

DC power is supplied via two Pyramid 30Amp 13.v volt power supplies (under the computer desk). One is dedicated to the AP1100 mount.
West Mountain Radio RIGrunner 4008
Kendrick Dew Heater Controller
MeLe Quieter 4C NUC
USB Hub

Last evening, I powered up the system and verified that all cables were properly connected and of the correct length. Since I have not yet hired an electrician to run the AC power and network cabling, I encountered a minor issue communicating with the AP1100 control box.

I first tried connecting via Wi-Fi but was unable to get it working. I then decided to try something unconventional: I connected the mount to the NUC using a USB-to-Ethernet adapter through the USB hub. To my surprise, it worked exceptionally well. In fact, I ran the setup continuously for four hours without a single dropout or error.

With clouds moving in, I was unable to do any imaging, but I was able to complete a polar alignment. The mount is now carrying the EdgeHD 11 with a WO GT102 mounted piggyback.

Earlier today, I applied Vulkem 116 polyurethane sealant around the observatory walls to help prevent water intrusion. Tonight, I plan to attempt a full imaging session to thoroughly exercise and validate the system.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 17 and 18 - Obsy Build and Setup

Last week I completed the installation of the telescope(s) on the pier and routed the power and signal (USB) cables through the mount. I sti...