Monday, May 30, 2016

Supernova discovered in M66 - Galaxy in Leo

Image by Gianluca Masi, Ceccano Italy - May 29, 2016
A new supernova has been observed in M66, a galaxy in the constellation of Leo the Lion.  On 28 may 2016, the ASAS supernova survey discovered a possible supernova in the amazing Messier 66 spiral galaxy in Leo; the supernova nature was confirmed a few hours later, suggesting a type IIP object. Clouds made impossible to us to image it on the first night, but we had some clear skies the following one.

If the skies ever clear in Maryland I plan to image M66 and compare it to images I have from the past.  I should be able to distinguish the new star!

No comments:

Post a Comment

More Astrophotos from my Backlog

I just completed the post-processing of a couple of objects from my backlog - one from Feb 6, 2024 (open star cluster M35) and the other the...