Wednesday, September 10, 2025

The Black Hole Nebula - LDN 323

Nestled within the Small Sagittarius Star Cloud, the Black Hole Nebula—formally known as Barnard 92 or LDN 323—appears as a haunting void in an otherwise star-rich field. This dark nebula, discovered by Edward Emerson Barnard in 1913, earned its nickname from its striking resemblance to a cosmic abyss, though it is not a black hole in the astrophysical sense. With an opacity rating of 6—the darkest on Barnard’s scale—it obscures background starlight with remarkable density, creating the illusion of a celestial shadow cast across the Milky Way.

LDN 323 (Black Hole Nebula)
August 11, 2025 - GT102/ASI533
26x120sec - 52min total integration time

Since I only collected 26 subs and limited the exposure to 120 sec (moon near full) I did not get as much of the rich star field behind B92 that I would have liked.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The JUICE mission to fly by Earth

The European Space Agency's JUICE (Jupiter Icy Moons Explorer) spacecraft, launched in April 2023, is on its way to Jupiter, but it is t...