Monday, July 12, 2021

Adding the WO GT102 to the EdgeHD - Tandem Scopes

With the summer nebulae making their return I need to switch to my wide field refractor to capture these colorful deep space objects. Problem is, removing the 11" Edge from the mount requires a bit of effort and then the mounting plates need to be readjusted. Once the plates are done and the GT102 mounted I need to rebalance the scope. If I then decide I need to photograph planets this summer, or even some small planetary nebulae, the whole process repeats, as I remove the GT102 and add the Edge.

Ever since I got the new AP1100 mount I've been toying around the idea of mounting both OTAs in tandem. The mount can handle up to 110 pounds and I figured the two scopes would come in around 60 pounds including the camera and guide scope. That way I could just cover the two scopes when not being used and leave them on the mount. I could then image from either one just by moving the camera from one OTA to the other. A little bit of rebalancing may be needed, but that shouldn't be too hard.

So this past week I ordered a new 18lb counterweight. It arrived last Friday. I then mounted a dovetail plate on top of the Edge, and with two ADM clamps on the WO GT102 it was mounted on top of the Edge. The 50mm guide scope sits atop the GT102. With all the camera equipment attached I needed the new 18lb counterweight as well as my 5lb one to get the whole system balanced. Now all I need is some clear nights to check everything out. 

The only other issue that needs addressing is the cover. The existing Telegizmo 365 cover could work, but it would be a tight fit and would not reach to the bottom of the pier. I contacted Telegizmo to see about ordering a custom fitted cover. I await their response. Based on my measurements a new cover would allow me to keep ALL the equipment (Power supplies, computer, dew controllers, power distribution panel, etc.) out covered and protected.

So it goes. Hopefully, new summer nebulae images will soon be on the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Soldiers Delight Star Party

Hosted by    Westminster Astronomical Society If you are local to the Baltimore, MD area and have an interest in astronomy, why not stop by ...