Saturday, February 25, 2017

Super-Earth is no place for a human

With all the news lately about newly discovered Super-Earths, its almost natural to assume that one of these planets may support life - and maybe we'll discover that in our lifetimes.  The problem is, of course, that the term Super-Earth is misleading at best.



I've always been wary of any news report claiming a likely 'earth like planet' has been discovered. Not that I want to quash any hopes of finding life out there in the universe, but the so called 'Super Earths' won't be the ones that probably have it.

The Forbes article here, by Ethan Siegel, explains why in just enough detail for almost anyone to understand.  I'm still hopeful that we will find a life supporting planet, but it may be awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

More Astrophotos from my Backlog

I just completed the post-processing of a couple of objects from my backlog - one from Feb 6, 2024 (open star cluster M35) and the other the...