Sunday, February 15, 2015

More Fun with Hyperstar

Still learning how to use the new Hyperstar I acquired this month, and although the use of my Canon 50D causes some problems with using the Hyperstar to its full capabilities I am still able to capture some amazing photos. Spend about 3 hours on February 13th to capture some cool images. When the clouds started to roll in at 10:00 I dismantled the equipment. In retrospect I should have waited about an hour as the skies cleared again. With clear and transparent skies at a premium in Maryland I should have waited and so I missed an opportunity to capture another 2-3 hours of images. Oh well.

First up is comet Lovejoy, which is now very high in the NW sky and getting fainter every day. The Hyperstar made it fairly easy to capture the comet and the tail.

Lovejoy - Feb 13, 2015
80x30sec ISO800 EdgeHD-1100 w/Hyperstar f/2
I also tried to capture the Horsehead nebula in Orion. Had I waited for the skies to clear I could have gotten at least another 50-100 subs to add to the image. This photo suffers from some of the image artifacts due to the 50D's large footprint, but I'll be able to add more subs to the mix and reprocess this wonderful nebula later this month.

Horsehead and Flame Nebula
60x30sec ISO800 EdgeHD-1100 w/Hyperstar f/2
All in all, I'm really pleased with the performance of the Hyperstar. Cuts my imaging time to less than 1/20th of the normal times, and provides a much wider field of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment

More Astrophotos from my Backlog

I just completed the post-processing of a couple of objects from my backlog - one from Feb 6, 2024 (open star cluster M35) and the other the...