Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Landing Pad

No, not a rocket-related item. This is really a telescope attachment.  The Landing Pad (from Starizona) allows for precise polar alignment for my Celestron CGEM-DX mount.

One big complaint I have with the CGEM mount is that when making azimuth adjustments to the mount during polar alignment, the adjustment screws have a lot of backlash and tend to be jerky, making precise alignment very difficult and frustrating. Add this to the fact that the mount cannot be tightened to the tripod head completely because it needs to move while making the azimuth adjustments. Then if you try to tighten it up, the whole mount shifts and you're out of alignment again.

The CGEM Landing Pad from Starizona eliminates the frustration. By using a very robust, incredibly smooth bearing system, the Landing Pad allows fine, precision adjustment of the mount for polar alignment. The mount now moves instantly and smoothly in response to turns of the adjustment knobs, with no backlash.

I received my Landing Pad today, and even though it came late (was getting dark outside) I decided to install it anyway. After all, it was nice outside, temperature in the upper 60's.



Took only about 20 minutes to complete the job. Now all I have to do is wait for the skies to clear and give her a go!

No comments:

Post a Comment

More Astrophotos from my Backlog

I just completed the post-processing of a couple of objects from my backlog - one from Feb 6, 2024 (open star cluster M35) and the other the...