Saturday, March 23, 2024

Comet 12P/Pons Brooks

So I finally got around to capturing the periodic comet 12P/Pons Brooks.

Since I was not able to capture this comet from my permanent telescope at my home (too low to get above the tree line) I decided to get my portable scope upgraded (GT102 on iEQ30) and take a short trip to my home church in Westminster.  There I was able to capture 32 subs using my ASI533 OSC. I stuck with just 60sec subs as the western sky here in Westminster at this time has a lot of aircraft traffic and even StarLink trails due to the early evening time frame. I took 70 subs and ended up with only 32 at the end. Had I gone with the 120 sec exposure rate I probably wouldn't have had a single sub with a trail! 

Comet 12P/Pons Brooks - March 21, 2024
GT102 Telescope / ASI533mc Camera
32 x 60 sec subs

Comet 12P/Pons-Brooks is a Halley-type periodic comet. It was first discovered by Jean-Louis Pons on July 12, 1812, and later independently rediscovered by William Robert Brooks in 1883. This comet has an orbital period of about 71.3 years. Note: So, if I didn't capture it now, I don't think I will have another opportunity :)

During its closest approach to the Sun (perihelion), comet 12P/Pons-Brooks comes within approximately 0.78 astronomical units (AU) (72.5 million miles) of the Sun. At its furthest point (aphelion), it is located at a distance of about 17.2 AU (1.6 billion miles). Interestingly, this comet is also associated with the κ-Draconids meteor shower.

Comet 12P/Pons-Brooks is expected to reach its maximum brightness, potentially becoming visible to the naked eye during the month of April. Coincidentally, its closest approach occurs just a few days before a total solar eclipse on April 8, 2024. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Dumbbell Nebula - M27

Getting around to completing the postprocessing of a number of astro objects in my backlog. Part of my backlog of image runs, this image con...