Monday, June 5, 2023

Smoke in Maryland - And a Feature Article on Your's Truly


Here it is - Monday evening; clear sky, cool temps, low humidity. What more can you ask for? Should be a great night to capture the RGB stars I need for my latest project. But, where are the stars? And what's with Venus, so pink and dim, when it should be brilliant white. Why smoke, of course! Yep, the Canadian fires are filling our skies with a fairly thick haze of smoke. So no imaging tonight. I'll probably process the subs I got of the Cat's Eye nebula without the colored stars. Maybe I'll capture them later and add them in at a later date. I'll post the image later this week.

On another note ... back in March, Photonic Cleaning Technologies, a company that developed a polymer cleaning solution used by professional observatories and industrial optical organizations, contacted me after I had a conversation with one of the owner/engineers about using their First Contact Polymer to clean my telescope optics. We had a great talk about astronomy and astrophotography, and it was soon after that conversation that Debra Giesen emailed me about publishing an article about my hobby on their website. Of course I jumped on the opportunity and started writing the first draft. All I needed to do is agree to include a short  testimony on how I liked the Polymer cleaner. Not only would the article be posted on their website, but would be a feature article in the June edition of Amateur Astrophotography Magazine.

Well, things didn't go all that well. The owner/creator/manager of Amateur Astrophotography Magazine is temporarily suspending future publishing until early next year as he deals with some medical issues. He is confident that the magazine will be back in operation in early 2024 and I will be first on the publication list. But the article, "Astrophotography from Light Polluted Reisterstown" is posted on the Photonic Cleaning Technologies website. Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Soldiers Delight Star Party

Hosted by    Westminster Astronomical Society If you are local to the Baltimore, MD area and have an interest in astronomy, why not stop by ...