Friday, April 21, 2023

Update on the Medusa Nebula

 A few days ago I posted my image of the Medusa nebula. I had mentioned that there were some problems with the level of Sii data and that the blue star subs were really bad.

It turns out there were other issues as well - having to do with the settings used to calibrate and stack the narrowband subs. I sent my raw data files to a fellow astrophotographer out on Astrobin, Uwe Deutermann, and he was able to process them with no such issues and create a much better final image. Here is that result as a collaboration effort of the two of us: my data, Uwe's processing.

Medusa Nebula -- Abell 21, Sh2-274

Later on another astrophotographer on Astrobin, George Yendrey, provided a very complete evaluation of my issue with the processing and uncovered an incorrect setting/parameter I was using in calibrating the subs. Once I set the parameter correctly I was able to reprocess my data and get similar results to what Uwe had provided. Such is the huge benefit of having an online collaboration site like Astrobin where fellow astrophotographers can ask questions, and exchange knowledge.

The complete dialog of the journey to get this image can be found on Astrobin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Soldiers Delight Star Party

Hosted by    Westminster Astronomical Society If you are local to the Baltimore, MD area and have an interest in astronomy, why not stop by ...