Saturday, June 4, 2022

No meteor storm, but a good galaxy image!

Well the potential meteor storm didn't pan out - not that I was surprised.  But I did have the telescope out imaging that night so I was able to capture the Needle Galaxy with my new ASI533MC camera. 

Needle Galaxy (NGC 4565)
May 29-30, 2022
EdgeHD 11; ASI533MC (73x180sec subs)

NGC 4565 (also known as the Needle Galaxy or Caldwell 38) is an edge-on spiral galaxy about 30 to 50 million light-years away in the constellation Coma Berenices. It lies close to the North Galactic Pole and has a visual magnitude of approximately 10. It is known as the Needle Galaxy for its narrow profile. First recorded in 1785 by William Herschel, it is a prominent example of an edge-on spiral galaxy. (wiki)

This image run was to be another test of my ASI533MC camera, and the results have really panned out to be above my expectations. This camera, unlike my ASI2600 and ASI1600, is a OSC (one shot color) sensor (similar to a standard digital camera). This makes capturing and processing the astro-images much easier and less time consuming at the expense of not being able to image through NB filters, or take advantage of the higher sensitivity of the monochrome sensors in the 1600 and 2600. It also sports a square image sensor, which takes a bit getting used to. 

The ASI533MC was actually purchased for a number of reasons. First of all, for cometary imaging you don't have to deal with the three RGB filters and can spend the time capturing lots of single color subs. And since comets move noticeably in their orbits while being imaged, dealing with single color subs makes it a whole lot easier to process the final image. Second, it is planned to be added to my new wide field portable telescope for ease of transporting and operation in the field. And finally, it can used in the Hyperstar setup on my EdgeHD 11 for super fast, f/2 imaging with an 11" aperture telescope.

Hopefully in the coming months I'll be able to try out all three of these uses to see how well the ASI533MC performs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

More Astrophotos from my Backlog

I just completed the post-processing of a couple of objects from my backlog - one from Feb 6, 2024 (open star cluster M35) and the other the...