Saturday, December 11, 2021

The "37"

Been spending some time processing some of my images taken over the past couple of months.  I had imaged this particular star cluster early in November, but something went awry and the result was terrible.  I then re-imaged this on the 30th of November. After looking for a good while in my file directories for the flats that go with this image I was unable to locate them. I guess I had thought I had taken the flats, but seems like I did not. So, since this was just a bright star cluster I decided to process it without any calibration (no darks; no flats) and see what comes out. So here it is. And I guess you have figured out where the nickname for the object came from?

This is NGC 2169, an open cluster in the Orion constellation. It was possibly discovered by Giovanni Batista Hodierna before 1654 and discovered by William Herschel on October 15, 1784. NGC 2169 is at a distance of about 3,600 light years away from Earth. It is nicknamed "The '37' Cluster" due to its striking resemblance to the numerals "37". (Wiki)

NGC 2169 (The "37") - November 30, 2021
EdgeHD11; ASI2600mm Pro RGB
20x60sec each filter


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Dumbbell Nebula - M27

Getting around to completing the postprocessing of a number of astro objects in my backlog. Part of my backlog of image runs, this image con...