Thursday, June 10, 2021

M90 - Galaxy in Virgo

M90 - Spiral Galaxy in Virgo

M90 - May 13-15, 2021
EdgeHD-11 Telescope - ZWO ASI2600mm Pro Camera
LRGB

Messier 90 (also known as NGC 4569) is an intermediate spiral galaxy with a weak inner ring structure. It lies about 60 million light-years away in the constellation of Virgo. The star formation in Messier 90 appears to be tapering off as evidenced by the galaxy's spiral arms appearing smooth and rather featureless. Galaxies with active star formation have knots and trails of knotted groups in their arms. However, the central region does show some significant activity where there exists around 50,000 stars of spectral types O and B (blue to blue-white hot stars) that formed around 5 to 6 million years ago (young).

This image was created by combining 24 blue, 18 green and 17 red subs, each 120 seconds exposure, to get the master color image (RGB). To the RGB image I added 54, 120 second luminance subs (monochrome) for the detail. I had planned to use 30 of each color, but the Maryland weather this year has been giving me fits!

Remember, complete technical details on all my photos can be found on my Astrobin site.

No comments:

Post a Comment

More Astrophotos from my Backlog

I just completed the post-processing of a couple of objects from my backlog - one from Feb 6, 2024 (open star cluster M35) and the other the...