Thursday, July 30, 2020

Comet NEOWISE fading fast

I setup for imaging NEOWISE from my home site on July 26 and the 27th.  Placed my Canon50D piggyback on the GT102 with my Canon 100mm lens. Little did I know that my focus (on both nights) wasn't set properly and so both sets of subs were very sub-par.  After trying to process them multiple times the results were just not worth the effort.  I realized later that the focus ring on my Canon lens is so loose that it can rotate out of focus really easy.  Should have taped it down or used my Tamron which is much stiffer in that respect.

With the moon reaching full phase this weekend, the skies will be awash with moonlight. Once the moon reaches a point where it doesn't rise until after NEOWISE sets the comet will have dimmed to the point where the tail is significantly reduced in size and brightness.  So it's goodbye to comet NEOWISE.  Now I'll be waiting for the next bright comet to favor our skies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

More Astrophotos from my Backlog

I just completed the post-processing of a couple of objects from my backlog - one from Feb 6, 2024 (open star cluster M35) and the other the...