Saturday, November 25, 2017

New Images

I just noticed that a good portion of my past images have not had the correct dark frames processed on them. This means that thermal noise from my camera was not getting subtracted out. Granted the QHY10 operating at -20C doesn't produce a lot of thermal noise, there is still some there and it should be removed.

Adjusting for the new parameters in PixInsight I re-ran the M33 image taken with my WO GT102 APO. The image is a little darker, but the noise is greatly reduced. I may decide to reprocess some of my past images to allow for this improvement.

Updated M33 with Dark Frame Subtraction
On November 24, 2017, I placed my main telescope on automatic and scripted it to take ~3.5 hours of NGC 891, an edge on spiral galaxy while I got some needed sleep :).  Results were really good. 44 subs, each 300 seconds long were taken in the wee hours of the morning. Here is the end result of that session.

NGC 891, Nov 24, 2017
EdgeHD11 at f7.0 - 44x300sec subs with QHY10
NGC 891 (also known as Caldwell 23) is an edge-on unbarred spiral galaxy about 30 million light-years away in the constellation Andromeda. It was discovered by William Herschel on October 6, 1784. The galaxy is a member of the NGC 1023 group of galaxies in the Local Supercluster. It has an H II nucleus.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks. That one was a difficult catch - dim, required lots of image time!

    ReplyDelete

More Astrophotos from my Backlog

I just completed the post-processing of a couple of objects from my backlog - one from Feb 6, 2024 (open star cluster M35) and the other the...