Sunday, August 6, 2017

Are you ready for the Solar Eclipse?

Unless you've been completely out of touch with news of any kind you should be aware that there is going to be an eclipse of the sun on Monday, August 21, 2017.  Much of the US will experience a Total Eclipse as the map below shows.
Sky and Telescope

For those fortunate enough to be in the eclipse's path, you are in for a real treat.  There is nothing that matches a total solar eclipse. I have yet to see one - but this year I'm expecting to, weather permitting.

There are lots of internet sites that will explain the whole story about eclipses, so I'm not going to spend time here explaining it. Just Google "Eclipse 2017" and I'm sure you'll get a boatload.  I've added a link to Sky And Telescope which has a lot of good info.

If you are staying in the Maryland area, around Baltimore/Washington you will see a partial eclipse, reaching about 80% at the peak.  Times are:

Start:            1:18 PM
Maximum:   2:42 PM
End:             4:01 PM

Remember to use eye protection during the eclipse.

Sky and Telescope Magazine has a lot of good information on the eclipse.

I'll post images after the event.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Dumbbell Nebula - M27

Getting around to completing the postprocessing of a number of astro objects in my backlog. Part of my backlog of image runs, this image con...