Thursday, July 20, 2017

New Horizon's Next Target

The Kuiper Belt object (known as 2014 MU69, 4.1 billion miles from Earth)
passes in front of a star and winks it out
Check out this article about the next target for the New Horizons spacecraft.  One of the team members that went to Argentina to capture the occultation (when one object passes in front of another - in this case, the Kuiper Belt object in front of a star) was Steve Conard, the lead engineer that built and tested the LORRI camera on New Horizons at APL in Laurel, Maryland. Steve is a member of the Westminster Astronomical Society, whom I met when I joined WASI back last year.

Complete article at NASA.

No comments:

Post a Comment

More Astrophotos from my Backlog

I just completed the post-processing of a couple of objects from my backlog - one from Feb 6, 2024 (open star cluster M35) and the other the...