Thursday, May 11, 2017

Comet Johnson - I'm almost ready for you

Between the full moon, clouds, daylight savings time, and having to get to my real job on the weekdays, I have yet to capture a decent image of comet Johnson, now visible in binoculars in Bootes fairly high in the eastern sky around 10:00 PM.  Johnson is still brightening and will reach best viewing in early June.

According to weather forecasts (and Clear Outside software) Monday through Wednesday next week should provide some decent sky conditions. The only issues might be a warmer air mass with some moderate humidity.

If you want to try viewing Johnson, look high overhead due east (almost 70 degrees from the horizon) just to the left of the 3rd magnitude star Delta Bootis.  Johnson remains high in the sky most of the evening, but the moon will interfere around 2:00AM.


Starry Night Pro 7
View to the east, 11:00PM - May 15, 2017




Starry Night Pro 7
Enlarged area of Constellation Bootes

No comments:

Post a Comment

More Astrophotos from my Backlog

I just completed the post-processing of a couple of objects from my backlog - one from Feb 6, 2024 (open star cluster M35) and the other the...