Monday, December 7, 2015

Occultation of Venus

Occultation of the planet Venus

With the weather cooperating with a nice clear blue sky I set up mytelescope equipment to capture the moon passing in front of the planet Venus.  This event known as an occultation occurs fairly frequently with stars, but planetary occultations are much less frequent, sometimes many years between them.  The last occultation of Venus was in September 2013 when the dark side blocked out Venus.  The occultation today was at approximately 12:39 PM and this time the bright side of the moon did the work.  The reappearance, about an hour later, was not seen as trees blocked my view to the west.


The video here is a 5x speed up from normal time, imaged with an ASI120MC planetary camera attached to my 3" Orion ST-80 guidescope while I watched visually through the EdgeHD11 main telescope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Dumbbell Nebula - M27

Getting around to completing the postprocessing of a number of astro objects in my backlog. Part of my backlog of image runs, this image con...