Monday, May 26, 2014

A Comet and a Cluster - all in the same night

This Sunday evening and Monday morning offered some of the best sky conditions I've seen in the past weeks.  I wanted to capture comet PANSTARRS while it is brightening and high in the northern sky. On its way for a perihelion (closest to the sun) on August 27, and closest to earth on October 31, PANSTARRS is currently about magnitude 9.0 - well below naked-eye visibility, but might be viewed in a dark sky with good binoculars.
C/2012 K1 (PANSTARRS)
20 minutes, ISO 1600 EdgeHD-11
Early on Memorial Day I was able to capture the globular cluster, M22, in the constellation Sagittarius (see location graphic). Low in the southern sky, objects like M22 are hard to image in light polluted skies, and although conditions weren't the best, this 16 minute image does show the cluster fairly well.
M22 is just to the left of the teapot in Sagittarius

M22 - 16 minutes, ISO 800 EdgeHD-11

No comments:

Post a Comment

More Astrophotos from my Backlog

I just completed the post-processing of a couple of objects from my backlog - one from Feb 6, 2024 (open star cluster M35) and the other the...