Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Update on Supernova 2014J

Since it's been cloudy, snowy, rainy, and just downright not conducive to astrophotography these past few days (actually, weeks!) I decided to improve on the processing of the images I took of M82 and 2014J on Feb 7, 2014. Here is the updated photo. The lower ISO (1600 vs. 3200) reduced the overall noise and the longer exposure allowed more of the actual color of the galaxy to come out.


M82 and SN2014J
11.25 minutes (15x45sec subs), ISO1600, EdgeHD-11 Prime Focus 
Recent observations have determined that the supernova is now starting to dim and is currently only half as bright as when this image was taken. When the skies clear I'll re-image and see how much SN2014J as dimmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Dumbbell Nebula - M27

Getting around to completing the postprocessing of a number of astro objects in my backlog. Part of my backlog of image runs, this image con...