Tuesday, October 15, 2013

ISON not yet visible in binoculars

After getting up and going outside at 5:00 AM this morning to find comet ISON with my 10x50 binoculars it suddenly dawned on me that binoculars would not pick up a 9th or 10th magnitude object. Sure enough, no ISON ... but the stars were wonderful. I spent 20 minutes or so viewing the Pleiades, M42 (the Great Nebula in Orion) and Jupiter's moons - yep, the sky was so crystal clear that I could easily make out Jupiter's moons with hand-held 10x50s.

I was going to bring out the 8" telescope tomorrow morning but now it seems the weather is not cooperating! So, looks like I wait until later towards the weekend.

So, when will ISON be visible in binoculars? Probably by the end of the month when the comet should reach 6th or 7th magnitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment

More Astrophotos from my Backlog

I just completed the post-processing of a couple of objects from my backlog - one from Feb 6, 2024 (open star cluster M35) and the other the...